Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My Adventures in Almond Milk....


I just finished my first attempt at homemade almond milk....how is it you ask?? Well if you like the feeling of a tiny bit of sand in milk. Then you would LOVE the texture. If you like thin skim milk. Then you would LOVE the mouth feel (yes that's a term). If you like milk that looks light tan and not white....well my friends then this milk is for you!

Honestly it's not bad at all. It's VERY cinnamon-y and the $14 vanilla bean is AMAZING (I think I could've had that on a piece of cardboard and the cardboard would've been amazing) but I am just not sold on the texture. The nut bag (still funny) worked super well and afterwards people (food blog people) say you should dry out the almond meal in a low oven over night (Alex isn't sure about this one) and whiz it in your food processor, PRESTO almond meal/coarse almond flour. Which I tasted before drying it out, it's SUPER tasty so I figured that would be good in cookies or muffins or maybe in a scoop in some oatmeal. 

Honestly I know change isn't easy and could take a moment (or ten) to get use to but I think for my first attempt not too bad. I don't know if I would put as much water in the second time around and in the second attempt I think I might try really good vanilla extract (about $10 bucks cheaper than the bean) to see if that works as well but I do love the little vanilla bean specks in it...yes I am that much of a food dork!

Here's what I did...

1 cup of almonds (soaked over night)
1 vanilla bean (your choice, mine was bourbon vanilla)
1/4 tsp of cinnamon
3 1/2 cups of cold filtered water
3 large soft pitted dates 

**(note to self do not let these fall down the garbage disposal, SORRY ALEX!!!!, he just finished putting the disposal and kitchen sink back together. He goes, "Ok no more date pits down the drain, ok?!" SORRY!! So don't put those down the drain. Lesson learned)

Put the almonds, fresh water, cinnamon, dates, vanilla and salt in a blender...blend on the highest speed for about a minute or so. 

Get a container that will A. hold 4 cups of something (made that mistake) and B. have an easy pour top, like a mixing bowl with a lip...I think you get my drift. Have someone hold the nut bag over the bowl (ha!) and then slowly pour the liquid into the nut bag once everything is in the nut bag squeeze the rest of the liquid out and BOOM! Fresh almond milk!!!!

Get it super cold and shake the hell out of it every time you want to use it. It lasts for about 3 - 5 days in the fridge so drink up!!! I am going to try it my coffee tomorrow so I will get back to you on if it foams up and how good it foams but I think oatmeal and baking it will be great... anything savory not so much. 

Let me know is anyone else tries it and if anyone has a good solution to make it more savory and any closer to the 1% milk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment