Sunday, January 12, 2014

My newest obessesion.....fruit.....

There aren't many things that can get me excited like a new local market. Lately I have been OBSESSED with exotic fruit. Living in New England in the dead of winter it's hard to find anything beyond apples, flavorless berries and cheap grapes. I have been on the hunt for Cherimoya, Mangosteen, Limonstello and Bread Fruit. So there is no other place in the Boston Area to find such things other than..... Russo's in Watertown.


This market has been here for decades but I have never made time to adventure down there. It's been on wish list though. Hands down this is one of the best fruit and vegetable markets in the Boston Area for unique and interesting items. It's perpetually summer in here with wide variety...sun chokes people...sun chokes.... (*here's where I get REALLY geeky with food)


It was an anxiety induced mad house in there (controlled chaos) so the next time we go it will be on an "off time" because it was more of mad dash to get in and get out as soon as possible then it was to leisurely walk around but still a VERY successful trip. 



We scored the elusive Cherimoya (it's the texture of custard but the flavor of apple, pear and pineapple. If you scoop out the insides and put it in the freezer it tastes like a fruity ice cream), Guava, prickly pear (this isn't too hard to find but wanted to get one because it was so cheap and I was on some sort of exotic fruit high), very SWEET italian grapes (I forget the name), Pineapple Quince (no idea, need to google this more), some meyer lemons and an Oroblanco (sort of like a sweeter white grape fruit). Hands down the most expensive thing was the Cherimoya but all told only $20 for everything. I am in love with it all. 

My goal this week was to try a new fruit or vegetable and people...mission accomplished!!!! Beyond accomplished. 

And to top it off....I learned how to make REALLY good Korean Bibimbap. 


BOOM!!!!!

The key is finding those stone korean hot pots, season them with sesame oil and get them SMOKIN hot. 

 I normally wouldn't gloat about these kinds of things but it was three weeks in the making so any one who wants to come to our little love shack I would be HAPPY to bless you with the new gift I have that is making Bibimbap! Plus after spending $50 on these pots I want to get some use out of them!!!

How was your weekends?? Tell me all! That's all that's going on in my little life. I am off to watch Alex eat two boxes of girl scout cookies (he bought them last night WHILE WE WERE LEAVING A BAR....sneaking girl scouts...Very sneaky!) And when I dare question him about this purchase he goes, "We are giving back to the community!" UH?! So now I am watching the cookie crumbs fly and about to judge celebrities on the red carpet from the comforts of our house in my pjs! Happy Sunday Peeps!


No comments:

Post a Comment